    SubjectRe: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches
    On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 12:55:35PM -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
    > In linux-next you will find that those fields are completely unused and
    > the kernel can be compiled without them with 0 lose of functionality
    > (they are still used in linus's kernel by the audit system)
    >
    > The only reason I didn't remove them entirely is because the inotify
    > kernel interface is EXPORT_SYMBOL. I plan to leave it around for a
    > little bit until I'm sure out of tree users don't exist or at least had
    > enough time to realize they need to use fsnotify.

    There's absolutely no reason to keep them around, we never guaranteed
    API stability and never cared about out of tree modules. And if any
    out of tree modules are out there using it they won't notice they need
    to stop using it before you removed it. So just nuke them entirely
    in the for-2.6.32 queue.

      Last update: 2009-08-03 20:07    [W:2.212 / U:0.044 seconds]