SubjectRe: RFC: THE OFFLINE SCHEDULER
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>
> > The statistics stuff needs to be tackled anyway as we need to offload
> > the sched accounting to some other cpu.
>
> The vm statisticcs in mm/vmstat.c are different from the sched accounting.

I know, but the problem is basically the same. Delegate the stats to
someone else.

> > What slab queue stuff is running on timers and cannot be switched off
> > in such a context?
>
> slab does run a timer every 2 second to age queues. If there was activity
> then there can be a relatively long time in which we periodically throw
> out portions of the cached data.

Right, but why does that affect a CPU which is marked "I'm not
involved in that game" ?

> > Device specific stuff should not happen on such a CPU when there is no
> > device handled on it.
>
> The device may periodically check for conditions that require action.

Errm. The device is associated to some other CPU, so why would it
require action on an isolated one ? Or are you talking about a device
which is associated to that isolated CPU ?

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2009-08-28 22:39    [W:0.243 / U:0.048 seconds]