    SubjectRe: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    On Tuesday 25 August 2009 08:42:10 Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:37:12 -0400
    > Ric Wheeler <> wrote:
    > > I really think that the expectation that all OS's (windows, mac, even
    > > your ipod) all teach you not to hot unplug a device with any file system.
    > > Users have an "eject" or "safe unload" in windows, your iPod tells you
    > > not to power off or disconnect, etc.
    > Agreed

    Ok, I'll bite: What are journaling filesystems _for_?

    > > I don't object to making that general statement - "Don't hot unplug a
    > > device with an active file system or actively used raw device" - but
    > > would object to the overly general statement about ext3 not working on
    > > flash, RAID5 not working, etc...
    > The overall general statement for all media and all OS's should be
    > "Do you have a backup, have you tested it recently"

    It might be nice to know when you _needed_ said backup, and when you shouldn't
    re-backup bad data over it, because your data corruption actually got detected
    before then.

    And maybe a pony.

      Last update: 2009-08-27 05:21    [W:0.020 / U:0.548 seconds]