SubjectRe: ATA device reset, shoud I be concerned?
On 01/21/2008 08:33 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Tejun Heo wrote:
>> IMHO, losing media error information is much better than locking up a
>> machine hard. We can start white listing known good controllers but I'm
>> skeptical how much benefit it will bring.
>
> Just a data point, even ICHs lock up after PHY event if the wrong TF
> register is accessed. I just don't think tempting with TF regs after
> timeout is worth the cost.

Nvidia CK804 SATA controllers appear to also explode on reading TF
registers after media errors in certain cases. (They tend to either
lockup the machine or throw HyperTransport timeout machine check
exceptions). I suspect those error paths aren't well tested (except that
it even explodes in Windows with the default Microsoft IDE driver, when
reading a scratched DVD on a SATA drive, for example.)

  Last update: 2009-08-27 04:49    [W:0.088 / U:0.496 seconds]