    SubjectRe: [patch] document flash/RAID dangers
    Once upon a time, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> said:
    > > The issues being raised here are not specific to extX, MD RAID, or Linux
    > > at all; they are problems with non-"enterprise-class" RAID setups.
    > > There's a reason enterprise-class RAID costs a lot more money than the
    > > card you can pick up at Fry's.
    >
    > And you will still need backups ;)

    Yep. RAID (of any class) != fail safe.

    > A long time ago I worked on a fault tolerant news server with dual
    > alphaserver boxes and a shared disk array. A power system failure took
    > out both the alpha boxes and the disk controllers and all the disks.

    Hey, that's not funny! I'm typing this on a dual AlphaServer cluster
    with a shared disk array (with dual battery backup even), and we had a
    power failure at the NOC yesterday (that then tripped a breaker,
    although it was between the generator and the UPS, so nothing went
    down).

    No matter how redundant you make things, a "no single point of failure"
    setup still can fail, often in "interesting" ways that nobody
    anticipated.

    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

      Last update: 2009-08-26 16:15    [W:4.036 / U:0.128 seconds]