SubjectRe: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 09:15:00PM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> I agree with the whole write up outside of the above - degraded RAID
> does meet this requirement unless you have a second (or third, counting
> the split write) failure during the rebuild.

The argument is that if the degraded RAID array is running in this
state for a long time, and the power fails while the software RAID is
in the middle of writing out a stripe, such that the stripe isn't
completely written out, we could lose all of the data in that stripe.

In other words, a power failure in the middle of writing out a stripe
in a degraded RAID array counts as a second failure.

To me, this isn't a particularly interesting or newsworthy point,
since a competent system administrator who cares about his data and/or
his hardware will (a) have a UPS, and (b) be running with a hot spare
and/or will imediately replace a failed drive in a RAID array.

- Ted

  Last update: 2009-08-26 05:01    [W:1.166 / U:1.656 seconds]