    SubjectRe: [Patch 0/1] HW-BKPT: Allow per-cpu kernel-space Hardware Breakpoint requests

    * K.Prasad <prasad@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

    > > Providing those would let us build a pmu struct on top of this
    > > high level API, hopefully.

    Note that there's a PMU struct already in
    arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_counter.c. Could debug-register ops be
    tacked on to it?

    > > All that would be a benefit in both sides. It avoids us building
    > > a low level PMU that reinvent the wheel, ie: the hardware
    > > breakpoints API handles a lot of things both in arch and core
    > > sides (debug register setting tricks with dr7 and co, cpu
    > > hotplug, kexec, etc...). In the bp API it brings more power
    > > (register switching only if needed, per cpu support, clone
    > > inheritance support, etc...)
    > >
    > > And in the end we have a pmu (which unifies the control of this
    > > profiling unit through a well established and known object for
    > > perfcounter) controlled by a high level API that could also
    > > benefit to other debugging subsystems.
    > >
    > > What do you think? It would be also nice to have Peter's and
    > > Ingo opinion about it, to be sure we are not going in the wrong
    > > direction.
    >
    > Indeed, it will be nice to know from Ingo and Peter that we are
    > heading right.

    If you do this proper perfcounters integration then i'm certainly
    happy.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2009-08-21 16:31    [W:2.833 / U:0.048 seconds]