SubjectRe: mmap_min_addr and your local LSM (ok, just SELinux)
Hi!

> Brad Spengler recently pointed out that the SELinux decision on how to
> handle mmap_min_addr in some ways weakens system security vs on a system
> without SELinux (and in other ways can be stronger). There is a trade
> off and a reason I did what I did but I would like ideas and discussion
> on how to get the best of both worlds.
>
> With SELinux mapping the 0 page requires an SELinux policy permission,
> mmap_zero. Without SELinux mapping the 0 page requires CAP_SYS_RAWIO.
> Note that CAP_SYS_RAWIO roughly translates to uid=0 since noone really
> does interesting things with capabilities.

I wonder if cap_sys_rawio is right capability for this..? rawio
normally grants you kernel-llevel access, so you don't want to give it
to wine. But maybe if it checked cap_sys_nice or some new capability,
we could reasonably give that to wine, and problem would be gone?

cap_sys_obscure_features ?

(I guess vm86 mode should fall under that, too :-)

  Last update: 2009-08-02 14:53    [W:0.073 / U:9.272 seconds]