SubjectRe: [patch] perf tools: allow top users to switch between weighted and individual counter display

* Mike Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:58 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:09 +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > > (depends on last resurrect annotation patch)
> > >
> > > perf_counter tools: allow top users to switch between weighted and individual counter display.
> > >
> > > Add [w]eighted hotkey. Pressing [w] toggles between displaying weighted total of all counters,
> > > and the counter selected via [E]vent select key.
> >
> > /me stuck it next to that other one, let see what happens ;-)
>
> (plugs in Bitwolf-9000 charger)

seems to work well here.

A few minor comments:

- I had to guess that '?' gets me a help screen. Might make sense
to display a line at the bottom (?) to give some hints.

- Once i was on the help screen, i expected either <Enter> or '?'
to make it vanish. Only setting an option got rid of it - i
suspect this should be improved. (Also, a line in the help screen
that tells us how to go back without changing anything would be
helpful as well.)

- I randomly tried the 's' option to do annotation. But it didnt do
anything. Probably because i didnt start perf top via --vmlinux,
right? This behavior is not intuitive in any case - it should
probably display an error message at minimum - but if possible it
should try to guess the position of the vmlinux file.

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans