    SubjectRe: completely hide parts of the partition table from Windows?
    Andries E. Brouwer writes:
    > On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:22:30PM +0200, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
    > > So what I'm looking for is some sub-partition table format with the
    > > following two properties:
    > > 1. resides in an msdos partition entry of a type that Windows does
    > > not inspect (for whatever extended partitions or Apple/BSD/Sun
    > > stuff that Windows may have been taught to recognize)
    > > 2. the locations and sizes of the sub-partitions are NOT limited by
    > > the parent msdos partition entry
    > The reason I added type 85 = LINUX_EXTENDED_PARTITION
    > was precisely your concern: it should be something
    > that DOS/Windows doesnt know about.
    > > I've looked at the code in fs/partitions/msdos.c, and it seems that
    > > most of the extended/BSD/Sun formats don't give me property #2 above.
    > The standard description of extended partitions says that the size field
    > of the parent extended partition descriptor is irrelevant, only the
    > starting sector matters.
    > If you look at the parse_extended() code in msdos.c you'll see
    > that it does not use its parameter first_size.
    > (Except in a certain case that you will not be in.)

    Right. I misread the "process the data partitions" part to imply
    that the limits were enforced for all four entries, not just the
    last two usually-junk entries. Thanks for clarifiying that.

    > Make a table that has a Linux extended partition (type 85)
    > that is short enough not to cause Windows to worry. Have logical
    > partitions inside of any size and location you desire.

    I have created extended partitions with non-default type
    (though not 85). I'll see if I can convince fdisk or parted to
    create one with entries exceeding the parent's limits.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-19 01:59    [W:0.020 / U:238.376 seconds]