    SubjectRe: completely hide parts of the partition table from Windows?
    On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:22:30PM +0200, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

    > So what I'm looking for is some sub-partition table format with the
    > following two properties:
    > 1. resides in an msdos partition entry of a type that Windows does
    > not inspect (for whatever extended partitions or Apple/BSD/Sun
    > stuff that Windows may have been taught to recognize)
    > 2. the locations and sizes of the sub-partitions are NOT limited by
    > the parent msdos partition entry

    The reason I added type 85 = LINUX_EXTENDED_PARTITION
    was precisely your concern: it should be something
    that DOS/Windows doesnt know about.

    > I've looked at the code in fs/partitions/msdos.c, and it seems that
    > most of the extended/BSD/Sun formats don't give me property #2 above.

    The standard description of extended partitions says that the size field
    of the parent extended partition descriptor is irrelevant, only the
    starting sector matters.

    If you look at the parse_extended() code in msdos.c you'll see
    that it does not use its parameter first_size.
    (Except in a certain case that you will not be in.)

    Make a table that has a Linux extended partition (type 85)
    that is short enough not to cause Windows to worry. Have logical
    partitions inside of any size and location you desire.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-19 01:05    [W:0.042 / U:10.432 seconds]