SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] tracing: Syscalls trace events + perf support
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 09:46:55AM +0900, Paul Mundt wrote:
> [ Adding to Cc everyone that now has a broken tree thanks to this .. ]
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:11:33AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This pull request integrate one cleanup/fix for ftrace and an
> > > update for syscall tracing: the migration from old-style tracer to
> > > individual tracepoints/trace_events and the support for perf
> > > counter.
> > >
> > > I've tested it with success either with ftrace (every syscall
> > > tracepoints enabled at the same time without problems) and with
> > > perfcounter.
> > >
> > > May be one drawback: it creates so much trace events that the
> > > ftrace selftests can take some time :-)
> >
> > Pulled, thanks a lot!
> >
> And this has now subsequently broken every single SH and S390
> configuration, and anyone else unfortunate enough to be supporting ftrace
> syscall tracing that isn't x86, without so much as a Cc, well done!
>
> The s390 case can be fixed up in-tree as support has already been merged,
> but in the SH case we had ftrace syscall tracing queued up for 2.6.32, so
> it doesn't show up in -tip, but the end result in -next is now completely
> broken.
>
> I'm not sure how we should handle this, if tracing/core in -tip isn't
> rebased, should I just pull the topic-branch in to my tree, fix up the sh
> support on top of that, and push the end result out? This seems like the
> easiest option at least, but I don't know what other dependencies exist
> for tracing/core. Alternative suggestions welcome.
>
> This happens again and again with ftrace and -tip, where people just
> randomly change existing interfaces, break all of the existing users, and
> then fail to tell anyone about it until it shows up in -next. Even if we
> had pushed all of the sh ftrace bits to the -tip tree early on it would
> not have changed anything, evident by the fact that s390 and all of the
> non ftrace syscall architectures were broken by this change as well (the
> latter case was at least caught and corrected, although not by the
> original authors of this patch series). Is it really that much to task
> that people who are running around breaking ftrace interfaces actually
> bother to Cc the architectures that are using it?

I've just retrieved the concerned commit in the sh tree:

sh: Add ftrace syscall tracing support (c652d780c9cf7f860141de232b37160fe013feca)

Was I cc'ed on this one? I can't find it in my inbox. Unless I'm wrong
and I missed it, how could I guess I had to cc you and how am I supposed
to fix something I'm even not aware of?

I can't find the s390 patch in my inbox either (was I cc'ed ?)
([S390] ftrace: add system call tracer support) but we should have fixed
this one because it was already upstream and a git-grep ftrace_syscall_enter
would have warned us about that.

I didn't know another arch was supporting syscall tracing (except mips because
I was cc'ed, but it doesn't seem upstream nor in the mips tree).

> If -tip is going to perpetuate this sort of half-assed development
> methodology, it has no place in -next.

  Last update: 2009-08-18 12:27    [W:0.114 / U:0.720 seconds]