SubjectRe: [Patch 8/8] kexec: allow to shrink reserved memory
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:50:21 +0800
Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> wrote:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> writes:
> >

> >> Not that simple, marking it as "__init" means it uses some "__init" data which
> >> will be dropped after initialization.
> >>

> > If we start with the assumption that we will be reserving to much and
> > will free the memory once we know how much we really need I see a very
> > simple way to go about this. We ensure that the reservation of crash
> > kernel memory is done through a normal allocation so that we have
> > struct page entries for every page. On 32bit x86 that is an extra 1MB
> > for a 128MB allocation.
> >
> > Then when it comes time to release that memory we clear whatever magic
> > flags we have on the page (like PG_reserve) and call free_page.
> >

> Hmm, my MM knowledge is not good enough to judge if this works...
> I need to check more MM source code.
>
> Can any MM people help?

Hm, memory-hotplug guy is here.

Can I have a question ?

- How crash kernel's memory is preserved at boot ?
It's hidden from the system before mem_init() ?

Thanks,
-Kame

  Last update: 2009-08-18 02:33    [W:0.060 / U:0.756 seconds]