    SubjectRe: Smart Battery System Design (was: Re: Question about userspace-consumer)

    > > and wrt SBS, that would mean basically writing a driver for that Smart
    > > Batery Charger and the Smart Battery devices creating means for some
    > > entity to tell _start_charging_ based on the presence of a power source.
    > For me the critical thing is that we ensure that the charger won't be
    > left charging at anything more than a trickle charge when there's
    > nothing monitoring the battery status. If the charger can do the SBS
    > charger stuff autononmously it can look after itself (but the use of the
    > regulator API becomes more questionable for those devices since the
    > charger will be doing all the management of the regulators). If the SBS
    > is done entirely in software the kernel at least needs to be able to
    > notice the management software exiting and clean up after it, even if
    > that's all it is able to do for itself.

    Please don't put basic fastcharge logic to userspace:

    * you still want to fastcharge at init=/bin/bash boot

    * you want to fastcharge while machine is in s2ram. See spitz. Doing
    that with userspace would be quite tricky.

    (cesky, pictures)

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-15 18:23    [W:0.019 / U:3.308 seconds]