SubjectRe: RFC: Merge strategy for Industrial I/O (staging?)
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 09:27:05AM +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> IIO is intended to be a subsystem for sensors such as ADCs, accelerometers,
> gyros, light sensors and others that have reasonably high update rates and
> typically are connected via i2c or spi busses.
>
> The latest patch set posted to lkml was v4
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/860693
> Tree at
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jic23/iio_v4.git;a=summary
>
> original discussion of the need for such a subsystem:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/20/135
>
> The last couple of versions of IIO have recieved some useful feedback from
> a number of people, and feedback from various users has led to a number
> of recent bug fixes. Unfortunately, full reviews of any given element have
> not be forthcoming. Several people who have in principle offered to help
> haven't had the time as yet.
>
> In the short term, the lack of review of the core (patch 1 of the above set)
> leads to a stack of device drivers sitting in the git repository waiting on
> the core being merged. Currently in the tree there are 3 acceleromters, an
> adc and a light sensor. I also have an IMU driver (ADIS16350 family) that
> needs a little more cleaning up and testing with latest IIO core.
>
> Increasing numbers of drivers that would fall within the scope of IIO are
> being submitted to various other subsystems (hwmon for example) and getting
> bounced out as inappropriate for that subsystem. So, whilst I'd be reasonably
> happy to maintain the subsystem out of kernel until interest in the devices
> covered grows, or people have time to assist, I was wondering whether it
> would be appropriate to submit the subsystem and the associated driver
> set to staging.
>
> Whilst some elements could definitely do with more work (for example the
> use of rtc's to get periodic timers, is clunky at best), much of the core
> and the actual device drivers are to my mind pretty clean. So the question
> is, 'Is lack of reviewers a valid reason to submit to staging in the meantime?'

Yes, I have no objection to taking these patches in staging for now, as
long as you submit it with a TODO list of things left to be done to get
it merged to the main portion of the kernel tree.

So, send me the patches!

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2009-08-12 17:55    [W:0.058 / U:0.044 seconds]