SubjectRe: [patch 2/5] Staging: vme: add VME userspace driver
Emilio G. Cota wrote:
> Martyn Welch wrote:
>
>> Also, it seems that your API doesn't currently support Location
>> Monitors. These are specified in the VME spec, I'd be interested in
>> how
>> you plan to support this feature in a consistent manner with your
>> current API
>>

> What I intend to provide is a sane environment to work with VME
> devices. The first step is to cover the needs of most use cases:
>
> - 1 master Single Board Computer (SBC) running Linux
> - All the other slots have slave devices in them. These devices
> are controlled by kernel drivers on the SBC.
> - The SBC does DMA, direct I/O access (mapping) to/from the
> slaves, and handles interrupts from the devices.
>
> Once that's settled we could discuss about further parts of the
> spec. But really today getting the above right is _much_ more
> important than location monitors support.

Right - this is a specific case that you see as important. Depending on
the number of slots in the rack and the diversity of the cards used, the
VME core and driver I have suggested already covers this.

However, I also need to consider other cases, such as communications
between multiple SBCs and potentially a few slave devices. I have a need
for this *now*, not in the future. To me, slave support and to a lesser
degree location monitor support is important now, hence why it's
supported in my driver and core. Hence why I am asking, how do you
propose to support these features?

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch MEng MPhil MIET (Principal Software Engineer) T:+44(0)1327322748
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Ltd, |Registered in England and Wales

  Last update: 2009-08-12 11:59    [W:0.092 / U:0.032 seconds]