    SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 1/2] kexec: show memory info in /proc/iomem
    Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> writes:

    >> Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
    >>
    >> We can inspect the image we are going to load to get this information.
    >> In fact /sbin/kexec already inspects the image we are going to load
    >> to get this information. Putting this in the kernel adds kernel
    >> complexity for no gain.
    >>

    > /sbin/kexec is supported to know this, of course. But this is not for
    > /sbin/kexec, this is for user (or other programs) to observe the memory
    > information, so that he can know the memory he reserved is too much or not.

    > Without this, it is a little hard to use patch 2/2.

    So add on option to /sbin/kexec.

    Furthermore none of this does a good job of predicting how much
    memory /sbin/fsck will require to check the filesystem before we
    write a crash dump.

    The only way I know of reliably obtaining that kind of information is
    testing your crash userspace with different amounts of memory and
    understanding what is going on.

    Eric

      Last update: 2009-08-12 03:55    [W:0.025 / U:0.200 seconds]