    SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 1/2] kexec: show memory info in /proc/iomem
    Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> writes:
    >

    >> This patch implements showing kexec memory area via /proc/iomem.
    >> For example, with this patch we can see:
    >>
    >> # cat /proc/iomem
    >> 00100000-7ffeffff : System RAM
    >> 01000000-012e1424 : Kernel code
    >> 012e1425-015f1aff : Kernel data
    >> 0166b000-01b4b88f : Kernel bss
    >> 02000000-083fffff : Crash kernel
    >> 02000000-028fffff : Used
    >> 02900000-083fffff : Unused
    >>
    >> So that user can know how much memory the kernel uses for crash kernel.
    >>

    > Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
    >
    > We can inspect the image we are going to load to get this information.
    > In fact /sbin/kexec already inspects the image we are going to load
    > to get this information. Putting this in the kernel adds kernel
    > complexity for no gain.

    /sbin/kexec is supported to know this, of course. But this is not for
    /sbin/kexec, this is for user (or other programs) to observe the memory
    information, so that he can know the memory he reserved is too much or not.

    Without this, it is a little hard to use patch 2/2.

      Last update: 2009-08-12 03:17    [W:0.022 / U:157.912 seconds]