    SubjectRe: [patch 1/5] Staging: VME Framework for the Linux Kernel
    Martyn Welch wrote:
    > Emilio G. Cota wrote:
    >> Again, he (the driver writer) should know *nothing* about that.
    >>
    >> As for the scatter-gather case, what should happen is:
    >>
    >> User: hey, there's a buffer I want to transfer. here's
    >> a pointer and size
    > Buffer where? On VME or PCI, where are you transferring it to? The API I
    > have will allow scattered locations on VME to be copied to PCI and
    > visa-versa, scattered locations on PCI to be copied to VME and
    > visa-versa. Even scattered locations on VME to scattered locations on
    > PCI with a bit of effort.

    Admittedly our current tsi148 driver deals with the most common
    situation: DMA from main (master) CPU RAM to/from a VME slave.

    I'm not claiming we shouldn't support sg lists; however the
    implementation should resemble the existing sg interfaces.
    I'm currently working on something along those lines.

    Thanks,
    E.

      Last update: 2009-08-11 16:13    [W:0.021 / U:179.632 seconds]