    SubjectRe: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions
    On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:25:41AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > Look, even if what you say is valid (despite the advice of lawyers),
    > it is still useful for us to apply the patch (with the CONFIG option)
    > in the upstream sources. It means that support for the workaround
    > stays in the mainstream sources, so we don't have to worry about
    > separate patch going no longer applying as time goes by and the
    > upstream sources change over time. *If* a vendor really wants to
    > strip out the source code, they can do that easily enough using
    > unifdef to strip out the one specific CONFIG option.

    By putting it in the kernel tree we would only give the bogus patent
    claims more credit. And so far no one has but IBM has actually care
    about the patch. Tridge can put the patch into the IBM kernel tree for
    the service processors if you really deeply care, but can we leave the
    rest of the world alone?

    If someone really wants a patch to corrupt their filesystems they know
    where to find it.

      Last update: 2009-07-09 19:17    [W:0.019 / U:30.780 seconds]