SubjectRe: [patch -mm v2] mm: introduce oom_adj_child
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > Can you help think of any names that start with oom_adj_* and are
> > relatively short? I'd happily ack it.
> >
> There have been traditional name "effective" as uid and euid.
>
> then, per thread oom_adj as oom_adj
> per proc oom_adj as effective_oom_adj
>
> is an natural way as Unix, I think.

I don't think effective_oom_adj is a suitable name replacement for
oom_adj_child since it doesn't imply that the value is a no-op for the
thread itself and only serves a purpose when an mm is initialized for a
child.

> > It livelocks if a thread is chosen and passed to oom_kill_task() while
> > another per-thread oom_adj value is OOM_DISABLE for a thread sharing the
> > same memory.
> >
> I say "why don't modify buggy selection logic?"
>
> Why we have to scan all threads ?
> As fs/proc/readdir does, you can scan only "process group leader".
>
> per-thread scan itself is buggy because now we have per-process
> effective-oom-adj.

Without my patches to change oom_adj from task_struct to mm_struct, you'd
need to scan all tasks and not just the tgids because their oom_adj values
can differ amongst threads in the same thread group. So while it may now
be possible to shorten the scan as a result of my approach, it isn't a
solution itself to the problem.

> > How else do you propose the oom killer use oom_adj values on a per-thread
> > basis without considering other threads sharing the same memory?
> As I wrote.
> per-process(signal struct) or per-thread oom_adj and add
> mm->effecitve_oom_adj
>
> task scanning isn't necessary to do per-thread scan and you can scan
> only process-group-leader. What's bad ?
> If oom_score is problem, plz fix it to show effective_oom_score.

When only using (and showing) mm->effective_oom_adj for a task, userspace
will not be able to adjust /proc/pid/oom_score with /proc/pid/oom_adj
as Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt says you can for a thread unless it
exceeds effective_oom_adj.

  Last update: 2009-07-31 21:21    [W:0.093 / U:0.180 seconds]