    SubjectRe: [RFC][patch 02/12] remove clocksource inline functions
    On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:27:54 +0200, Martin Schwidefsky said:
    > On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:36:46 +0100 Will Newton <will.newton@gmail.com> wrote:

    > > An argument for the helper is that it eases grepability. Sure you can
    > > search for "->read" but that's going to turn up all kinds of
    > > non-clocksource code as well. grep clocksource_read will get you
    > > exactly what you want.
    >
    > That would make sense if the clocksource_read calls are littered all
    > over the kernel source. But they are not, the only user is
    > timekeeping.c

    You know that a priori because you're familiar with that code. But there's
    another use case: An idiot monkey like myself manages to break the kernel
    *again* in some part of the kernel they're totally unfamiliar with, and
    they need to discover for themselves that timekeeping.c is the only user.

    (Of course, in another 5-6 years I'll probably have broken something in
    every part of the kernel and whinged at Andrew about it, and that argument
    won't apply anymore.. ;)

      Last update: 2009-07-30 16:21    [W:0.021 / U:29.972 seconds]