    SubjectRe: Dynamic configure max_cstate
    On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 09:20 +0200, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
> [...]
    > > an interrupt after finishing I/O. Mostly, the I/O submit and interrupt, not
    > > the timer, drive the I/O.
    > >

    > >> If we program a timer to fire at some point, then it is quite imaginable
    > >> that any ACPI Cx exit latency due to the CPU being idle at that moment
    > >> could add to actual timer trigger time significantly.
    > >>
    > >> To combat this, one would need to tweak the timer expiration time
    > >> to include the exit latency. But of course once the CPU is running
    > >> again, one would need to re-add the latency amount (read: reprogram the
    > >> timer hardware, ugh...) to prevent the timer from firing too early.
    > >>
    > >> Given that one would need to reprogram timer hardware quite often,
    > >> I don't know whether taking Cx exit latency into account is feasible.
    > >> OTOH analysis of the single next timer value and actual hardware reprogramming
    > >> would have to be done only once (in ACPI sleep and wake paths each),
    > >> thus it might just turn out to be very beneficial after all
    > >> (minus prolonging ACPI Cx path activity and thus aggravating CPU power
    > >> savings, of course).
    > >>
    > >> Arjan mentioned examples of maybe 10us for C2 and 185us for C3/C4 in an
    > >> article.
    > >>
    > >> OTOH even 185us is only 0.185ms, which, when compared to disk seek
    > >> latency (around 7ms still, except for SSD), doesn't seem to be all that much.
    > >> Or what kind of ballpark figure do you have for percentage of I/O
    > >> deterioration?
    > > I have lots of FIO sub test cases which test I/O on single disk and JBOD (a disk
    > > bos which mostly has 12~13 disks) on nahelam machines. Your analysis on disk seek
    > > is reasonable. I found sequential buffered read has the worst regression while rand
    > > read is far better. For example, I start 12 processes per disk and every disk has 24
    > > 1-G files. There are 12 disks. The sequential read fio result is about 593MB/second
    > > with idle=poll, and about 375MB/s without idle=poll. Read block size is 4KB.
    > >
    > > Another exmaple is single fio direct seqential read (block size is 4K) on a single
    > > SATA disk. The result is about 28MB/s without idle=poll and about 32.5MB with
    > > idle=poll.
    > >
    > > How did I find C state has impact on disk I/O result? Frankly, I found a regression
    > > between kernel 2.6.27 and 2.6.28. Bisect located a nonstop tsc patch, but the patch
    > > is quite good. I found the patch changes the default clocksource from hpet to
    > > tsc. Then, I tried all clocksources and got the best result with acpi_pm clocksource.
    > > But oprofile data shows acpi_pm has more cpu utilization. clocksource jiffies has
    > > worst result but least cpu utilization. As you know, fio calls gettimeofday frequently.
    > > Then, I tried boot parameter processor.max_cstate and idle=poll.
    > > I get the similar result with processor.max_cstate=1 like the one with idle=poll.
    > >
    > Is it possible that the different bandwidths figures are due to
    > incorrect timing, instead of C-state latencies?
    I'm not sure.

    > Entering a deep C state can cause strange things to timers: some of
    > them, especially tsc, become unreliable.
    > Maybe the patch you found that re-enables tsc is actually wrong for
    > your machine, for which tsc is unreliable in deep C states.
    I'm using a SDV machine, not an official product. But it's rare that cpuid
    reports non-stop tsc feature while it doesn't support it.

    I tried different clocksources. For exmaple, I could get a better (30%) result with
    hpet. With hpet, cpu utilization is about 5~8%. Function hpet_read uses too much cpu
    time. With tsc, cpu utilization is about 2~3%. I think more cpu utilization causes fewer
    C state transitions.

    With idle=poll, the result is about 10% better than the one of hpet. If using idle=poll,
    I didn't find result difference among different clocksources.

    > > I also run the testing on 2 stoakley machines and don't find such issues.
    > > /proc/acpi/processor/CPUXXX/power shows stoakley cpu only has C1.
    > >
    > >> I'm wondering whether we might have an even bigger problem with disk I/O
    > >> related to this than just the raw ACPI exit latency value itself.
    > > We might have. I'm still doing more testing. With Venki's tool (write/read MSR registers),
    > > I collected some C state switch stat.
    > >
    > You can see the latencies (expressed in us) on your machine with:
    > [root@localhost corrado]# cat
    > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state*/latency
    > 0
    > 0
    > 1
    > 133
    > Can you post your numbers, to see if they are unusually high?
    [ymzhang@lkp-ne02 ~]$ cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power
    active state: C0
    max_cstate: C8
    maximum allowed latency: 2000000000 usec
    C1: type[C1] promotion[--] demotion[--] latency[003] usage[00001661] duration[00000000000000000000]
    C2: type[C3] promotion[--] demotion[--] latency[205] usage[00000687] duration[00000000000000732028]
    C3: type[C3] promotion[--] demotion[--] latency[245] usage[00011509] duration[00000000000115186065]

    [ymzhang@lkp-ne02 ~]$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state*/latency

    > > Current cpuidle has a good consideration on cpu utilization, but doesn't have
    > > consideration on devices. So with I/O delivery and interrupt drive model
    > > with little cpu utilization, performance might be hurt if C state exit has a long
    > > latency.

      Last update: 2009-07-28 11:03    [W:0.030 / U:223.192 seconds]