SubjectRe: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches
Hi.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:44:01PM +0100, Jamie Lokier (jamie@shareable.org) wrote:
> > No, I will NOT EVER pass a pathname. Period. End of story. I stated
> > the if userspace wants to deal with pathnames (and they understand the
> > system setup well enough to know if pathnames even make sense to them)
> > they can use readlink(2) on /proc/self/fd
>
> That makes sense.
>
> In most cases where events trigger userspace cache or index updates,
> userspace already has enough information to calculate the path (and
> any derived data) from the inode number (in the case of non-hard-link
> files) or from the inode number of the parent directory and the name
> (not full path).

Except that rlimits may forbid to open new file descriptor while queue
length is enough to put another event with the full or partial path
name.

I will read initial mail next, but if it is not described there, how
rlimit problem is handled?

--
Evgeniy Polyakov

  Last update: 2009-07-27 19:55    [W:0.126 / U:0.500 seconds]