SubjectRe: [Patch RFC 14/37] scsi: aacraid semaphore cleanup
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, James Bottomley wrote:

> cc linux-scsi added
>
> On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 08:18 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > plain text document attachment
> > (driver-scsi-aacraid-sema-cleanup.patch)
> > The usage of these "mutex"es is non obvious and probably completions
> > in some places. Make it them semaphores.
>
> -ENOCONTEXT on this ... I assume this is just a global
> s/init_MUTEX/semaphore_init/?

Well, in cases where the mutex use case is obvious it's a semaphore to
mutex conversion. But this one is definitly not.

> I think both are really just mutexes; no need for a counting semaphore.
> There's no stack declaration issues (the fibs are long lived entities)
> that would necessitate a completion.

It's not about stack declaration. These semaphores can not be
converted to mutexes for following reasons:

1) there is no mutex_init_locked() and there never will be one

2) the sem is taken from context A and released from context B. That
violates the mutex semantics where the lock/unlock has to happen in
the same thread context.

i.e. wait_sem is taken from

aac_do_ioctl()
next_getadapter_fib()

but release from

aac_check_health() or aac_command_thread()

I have no idea how that hell of code works, but wait_sem is definitely
not a mutex and neither is event_wait. The beasts might serialize
stuff as well, but they are also (ab)used as a completion to wait for
whatever.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2009-07-27 00:29    [W:0.274 / U:0.044 seconds]