    SubjectRe: TTM page pool allocator
    On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 19:34 +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
    > On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 17:53 +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
    > >
    > > 4) We could now skip the ttm_tt_populate() in ttm_tt_set_caching, since
    > > it will always allocate cached pages and then transition them.
    > >
    > Okay 4) is bad, what happens (my brain is a bit meltdown so i might be
    > wrong) :
    > 1 - bo get allocated tt->state = unpopulated
    > 2 - bo is mapped few page are faulted tt->state = unpopulated
    > 3 - bo is cache transitioned but tt->state == unpopulated but
    > they are page which have been touch by the cpu so we need
    > to clflush them and transition them, this never happen if
    > we don't call ttm_tt_populate and proceed with the remaining
    > of the cache transitioning functions
    > As a workaround i will try to go through the pages tables and
    > transition existing pages. Do you have any idea for a better
    > plan ?
    > Cheers,
    > Jerome

    My workaround ruin the whole idea of pool allocation what happens
    is that most bo get cache transition page per page. My thinking
    is that we should do the following:
    - is there is a least one page allocated then fully populate
    the object and do cache transition on all the pages.
    - otherwise update caching_state and leaves object unpopulated

    This needs that we some how reflect the fact that there is at least
    one page allocated, i am thinking to adding a new state for that :

    Thomas what do you think about that ?

      Last update: 2009-07-21 20:05    [W:0.020 / U:13.560 seconds]