    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27.27

    On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:

    > I might be seeing a slightly different bug, but in case it's helpful, the
    > behaviour here on Fedora rawhide with gcc-4.4.0-14.x86_64 and
    > binutils-2.19.51.0.11-27.fc12.x86_64 is that I get various .o files that come
    > out as completely empty files (or in one case as a precisely 64K sized file
    > that gives a "File format not recognized" error"), and the latest 2.6.31-rc
    > git can't be built at all.

    Hmm. This sounds more like the binutils bug that people had. Sounds like
    an assembler bug if the *.o file ends up being empty or at some fixed
    size. If it was cc1 that fails, I'd expect to not see an *.o file at all,
    since it didn't generate good assembly.

    In fact, your behavior sounds like the thing that produces the *.o files
    core-dumped or died for other reasons, and had a 64kB buffer that either
    got flushed or not. That would explain the "zero or exactly 64kB" size.

    It could be ccache too, of course.

    > If I replace -fno-strict-overflow with -fwrapv in Makefile everything builds
    > and runs fine.

    .. and this is just really really odd. If it was the cc1 front-end that
    does that with a bad optimization, I'd expect more visible turds. But on
    the other hand, if it's the binutils, then I don't see why -fwrapv would
    matter. Some front-end options get passed down to the assembler, but I
    would definitely not expect -fwrapv/-fno-strict-overflow to be one of
    those.

    Linus