    SubjectRe: [rfc][patch 3/4] fs: new truncate sequence
    On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:54:15AM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
    > On 07/13/2009 09:59 AM, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > >> Yeah, that seems be a lot cleaner. But let's wait until we got
    > >> rid of ->truncate for all filesystems to have the bigger picture.
    > >
    > > Agreed, if it is a common sequence / requirement for filesystems
    > > then of course I will not object to a helper to make things clearer
    > > or share code.
    > >
    > > I would like to see inode_setattr renamed into simple_setattr, and
    > > then also .setattr made mandatory, so I don't like to cut code out
    > > of inode_setattr which makes it unable to be the simple_setattr
    > > after the old truncate code is removed.
    > >

    > I thought you meant inode_setattr will go away. There will
    > only be simple_setattr() and inode_setattr_nosize()
    >
    > For the time been simple_setattr() will also take care
    > of old ->truncate FSs. And in the absence of .setattr
    > simple_setattr() is called. Have I miss-understood?
    >
    > again please tell me when all this is in effect I want
    > to do the conversion in exofs.

    AFAIKS inode_setattr basically is simple_setattr, so I think at some
    point it should just get renamed to simple_setattr. Adding
    simple_setattr_nosize or similar helper would be fine too. I don't
    care much about the exact details... But anyway these things are not
    so important to this truncate patchset at the moment.

    > [BTW these changes are a life saver for me in regard to
    > the kind of things I need to do for pNFS-exports]

    You mean the truncate patches? Well that's nice to know. I
    guess it has always been possible just to redefine your own
    setattr, but now it should be a bit nicer with the truncate
    helpers...

    Thanks,
    Nick

      Last update: 2009-07-13 11:03    [W:0.042 / U:28.772 seconds]