SubjectRe: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel
Ted has written a lot that I should think about for some time before
dealing with too many of the details, but one issue is worth clarifying,
I think, at least

The Group Scheduling framework is intended to permit flexible
configuration of *any* scheduling semantics, RT or otherwise that is
desired. We have done CPU share, application progress, and others.
Further , it is intended to permit applications running under multiple
programming models to coexist, although this requires higher-levels of
the system Group Scheduling hierarchy to describe how conflicts among
applications are resolved.

In that context, I coined the term "proxy execution" (I have no idea if
anyone else had coined it before, but it seems an obvious idea, so they
may have) as a *generalization* of Priority Inheritance, because it was
a way to think about the issue, and implement it correctly for a mixture
of scheduling semantics, if not as cheaply as I might like.

Thus, the idea is that if A -blocked-on-> B, then A is still considered
by the scheduling hierarchy, under whatever semantics is may be using,
priority or otherwise. If everyone is using priority semantics, then the
choice of the proxy calculation is the *same as* it would be under
Priority Inheritance, but arrived at by a different mechanism. If A is
under explicit plan scheduling, and B is under CFS or CPU share, then if
A would be chosen by the system if it were not blocked, then B is run as
its proxy until it gets out of A's way. In this case no priorities exit,
so Proxy Execution is not a "way of implementing Priority Inheritance".

Ted is correct that for any specific configuration of system semantics
support RT applications using any of several RT programming models,
schedulability is a key feature. I think that it is possible, in many
cases, and that GS will support schedulability in many cases when
configured correctly.

However, some of the many open questions include:

(1) Which system services, *if any* can RT threads use and still support
"acceptable" schedulability analysis under a given RT programming model?

(1.1) Will the use of system services (system calls) by RT threads
need to be explicitly supported by, perhaps, explicitly making the
schedulers of *other* threads also using those system calls aware of
that and take it into account to make those other tasks non-preemptible
while holding system call related locks.

(1.2) Can Linux SMP ever support this in an acceptable manner since
locks associated with systems services are shared across CPU boundaries.
THus, I can isolate a set of RT tasks on a CPU easily, and they are well
isolated and can run under strict predictability, *until they use a
system call that uses a lock*. Then, the system call is an interaction
channel with every other thread on the system using the same system call.

(1.2.1) The only alternative tot he obvious properties I can
think of here is to make each CPU run a separate copy of the OS and use
disjoint sets of devices. At which point we have a distributed system
in a box. Fundamentally, I think solutions to this problem are simply
more expensive than people are yet willing to accept. Alternately, of
course, I may just be thinking that so salve my disappointment at not
thinking of a cheap solution.

(2) Is the overhead of various mechanisms for tackling RT scheduling and
schedulability analysis going to be a barrier for SMP solutions, and if
so for how long, before people may just have to accept that "it really
does cost that much".

Of more personal concern:

(3) Is the generality of GS going to cost more than is feasible for some
applications. I can confidently say "yes" to the simplest form of this
question. The more subtle form is, "For what percentage of all possible
applications will the generality cost of GS be acceptable in return for
its configurability?" I think the percentage will be high, or I would
not have kept working on it for so long. Whether any of those qualifying
applications are RT is less clear.

One final observation as I must go for now:

The traditional levels of overhead viewed as acceptable for making some
of these decisions may not be attainable in SMP systems seeking to
support multiple threads running under different programming models.

Unfortunately if a consensus on a new "minimum feasible overhead" is
required, it could take quite a while, because if I think my approach is
at the "new minimum" but others do not, I am faced with proving a
negative - that no other approach can do it more cheaply, and that is,
of course, notoriously difficult.

-Doug

Ted & Syauchen Baker wrote:
> Before committing to a locking protocol, such as the (1) or (2) below, I
> would like to see explanation of how the schedulability analysis would be
> done with whatever model is being proposed. Since we are talking about SMP,
> this should include (at least) an analysis for the partitioned scheduling
> model and the global scheduling model, and preferably also for hybrids
> (tasks restricted to various subsets of processors), at least for
> fixed-priority scheduling, but preferably also for deadline scheduling, and
> for aperiodic server scheduling algorithms of both classes. To do less,
> would be making a huge commitment on behalf of the kernel support group and
> future application programmers, without any assurance that the mechanism
> will be workable in the long term.
>
> Witness the difficulties caused by premature standardization of POSIX
> PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT, and the bug that is standardized SCHED_SPORADIC, to
> see what we want to avoid.
>
> Ted

  Last update: 2009-07-14 01:51    [W:0.244 / U:0.316 seconds]