SubjectRe: [RFC] Improve CFQ fairness
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 02:19:32PM -0700, Divyesh Shah wrote:
> Hi Vivek,
> I saw a similar issue when running some tests with parallel sync
> workloads. Looking at the blktrace output and staring at the
> idle_window and seek detection code I realized that the think time
> samples were taken for all consecutive IOs from a given cfqq. I think
> doing so is not entirely correct as it also includes very long ttime
> values for consecutive IOs which are separated by timeslices for other
> sync queues too. To get a good estimate of the arrival pattern for a
> cfqq we should only consider samples where the process was allowed to
> send consecutive IOs down to the disk.
> I have a patch that fixes this which I will rebase and post soon.
> This might help you avoid the idle window disabling.

Hi Divyesh,

I will be glad to try the patch but in my particular test case, we disable
the idle window not because of think time but because CFQ thinks it is
a seeky workload. CFQ currently disables the idle window for seeky process
on hardware supporting command queuing.

In fact in general, I am trying to solve the issue of fairness with CFQ
IO schedulers. There seem to places where we let go fairness to achive
better throughput/latency. And disabling the idle window for seeky
processes (even though think time is with-in slice_idle limit), seems to
be one of those cases.

Thanks
Vivek