    SubjectRe: [BUG 2.6.30] Bad page map in process
    On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

    > 2. the specific BUG that I posted originally wasn't very interesting,
    > because it wasn't the first one. Having read a few posts I wasn't quite
    > sure how really severe this BUG was, i.e., whether or not it requiret a
    > reboot. There used to be a message like "reboot is required" around this
    > sort of exceptions, but then it has been removed, so, I thought, it wasn't
    > required any more. But the fact is, that once one such BUG has occurred,
    > new ones will come from various applications and eventually the system
    > will become unusable.

    I replaced Bad page state's reboot is needed message by just the BUG
    prefix: partly because the bad page handling _is_ now more resilient;
    but more because I don't like wasting screenlines which could hold
    vital info, and because I didn't see how this BUG differs from others
    in whether or not you need a reboot.

    A BUG means the kernel is in unknown territory: if you're brave and
    want to gather more info, you try to keep on running after a BUG;
    if you're cautious, you reboot as soon as possible.

    (Hmm, but perhaps I should wire these in to panic_on_oops??)

    You did the right thing: kept on running, then decided it wasn't
    worth it. (But you've only sent the one pair of messages gathered:
    okay, let's forget the rest until you've sorted the hardware angle.)

    Hugh

      Last update: 2009-07-13 13:59    [W:0.024 / U:118.920 seconds]