SubjectRe: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regression
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Friday 2009-07-03 03:26, tridge@samba.org wrote:
> >
> > > Making WINNT the default would cause many a `ls` output to just
> > > scream at me in uppercaps because there are programs that
> > > create long names with all-uppers.
> >
> >well, you could also argue that having WINNT in effect does the
> >'correct' thing. It causes ls to display the name that is actually in
> >the filesystem.
> >
> >I think the current default for VFAT on Linux is rather misleading. It
> >always displays 8.3 names as lowercase,
>
> There is no misleading in that, since VFAT is rather case-insensitive.

It's case-insensitive for searches, but:

- With the "posix" option, you can have multiple names with different cases.

- It still preserves case. I've got (Linux!) devices which copy
files from FAT flash media onto their internal hard disk which is
ext3, and then fail to work if the files on ext3 have the wrong case.

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2009-07-11 02:17    [W:0.174 / U:0.968 seconds]