SubjectRe: BUG: bonding module can only be loaded once
Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> Patrick McHardy <kaber@trash.net> wrote:
>
>> In any case, this is not the first time this has been broken and the
>> fundamental reason is in my opinion that the bonding interface is
>> broken to begin with. The module aliasing thing is complete crap
>> and should have been phased out long ago. At this point its probably
>> not worth anymore to migrate people to the sysfs interface though,
>> the best thing would be to add an rtnl_link interface and phase out
>> both.
>
> The "load bonding multiple times" stuff is only there now for
> backwards compatibility with old distro initscripts / sysconfig packages
> that don't configure bonding through sysfs (a sysfs API was added to
> bonding three or four years ago).
>
> All of the current distro releases I'm aware of use sysfs to
> configure bonding, and have done so for at least a year or two. I
> haven't done an exhaustive survey, but it seems unlikely that users are
> running a current up to date kernel with a two or three year old
> initscripts / sysconfig package. Anybody have information to the
> contrary?

I'd expect its not the distros, but rather the applicances which might
still be using this. I know a vendor I used to work for a couple of
years ago just recently made the switch from 2.6.16 to a current kernel,
and I'd expect that they are still using this (I can find out tommorrow
if you want to know for sure). Vyatta likewise, I guess.

> If nobody has any heartburn at dropping support for multiple
> bonding instances on old distros, I'm as happy as anybody to remove all
> of the multiple load logic from bonding. There's been plenty of time
> for transitioning from "multiple load" to sysfs.

In my opinion it would need a feature-removal-schedule announcement.

  Last update: 2009-06-09 18:31    [W:0.077 / U:1.064 seconds]