SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]
On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:17:44AM -0500, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> The mainstream kernel, e_powersaver, is *under-clocking* my machine -
>
> The cpuid instruction provides the minimum and maximum GSF values
> (Guaranteed Stable Frequency) for that processor mask run -
> Passing that on as the lower and upper limits to e_powersaver should
> stop that problem. Will be testing this RSN.

Can you provide more information on where you think you are getting the GSF
values from? I am not aware of such information.

The internal documentation always only refres to the minimum VID/FID values
from the MSR. Also, according to the specifications of all C7 models listed,
there are some that require a minimum of 400MHz, others require a minimum of
800. I have not found any that would require a minimum of 600MHz.

So I don't really know if your system really operates outside any specified
range.

The only thing I know of that you can read from the CPUID vendor string is
the maximum clock frequency in ASCII.

So it seems, e_powersaver is not really at all as dangerous as it appeared!

--
- Harald Welte <HaraldWelte@viatech.com> http://linux.via.com.tw/
VIA Free and Open Source Software Liaison

  Last update: 2009-06-09 10:23    [W:0.101 / U:27.940 seconds]