SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc8 does not boot
Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just gave 2.6.30-rc a try, taken from Linus git, tag v2.6.29-rc8.
> And this one does not want to boot on my test machine which is an
> AMD X2-64 with AMD780G chipset. Neither 64 nor 32bit kernel boots.
> I even tried in kvm virtual machine, -- same effect. It freezes right
> after displaying "Verifying BIOS data successful" message -- nothing
> more is on the screen.
>
> I did `make silentoldconfig' based on my current 2.6.29 configs. In
> the configs there are the following changes:
> - quite some changes in various new/changed drivers (which should
> not affect what I'm seeing)
>
> - decompression: I've no idea what compression it used before, but
> `make oldconfig' offered gzip by default which I accepted. Should
> I try bzip2 instead?
>
> - changed HZ from 100 to 300
>
> - also the following which I don't think I touched:
>
> -X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_BYTES=128
> +X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_BYTES=64
>
> -X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=128
> +X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=64
>
> -X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
> +X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
>
> I'm trying different compression method for now. If it will solve
> this issue, my conclusion will be that the default value is wrong
> and - oh well - expect more reports/questions like this one :)

Ok, compression did not change anything. But now I've a bit more
info available. Here's how the boot screen looks like when the
boot stops:

BIOS data check successful

PANIC: early exception 0e rip: 10:ffffffff802c9abd error 0 cr2 0
> The rest of the system is not very interesting I think: the kernel
> config is pretty generic (most stuff is in modules), compiler is
> default on Debian Lenny (4.3.2-1.1).

Tried two boot loaders: lilo (22.8) and extlinux. With similar
effect.

Thanks!

/mjt

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans