    SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc8 does not boot
    Michael Tokarev wrote:
    > Hello.
    > I just gave 2.6.30-rc a try, taken from Linus git, tag v2.6.29-rc8.
    > And this one does not want to boot on my test machine which is an
    > AMD X2-64 with AMD780G chipset. Neither 64 nor 32bit kernel boots.
    > I even tried in kvm virtual machine, -- same effect. It freezes right
    > after displaying "Verifying BIOS data successful" message -- nothing
    > more is on the screen.
    > I did `make silentoldconfig' based on my current 2.6.29 configs. In
    > the configs there are the following changes:
    > - quite some changes in various new/changed drivers (which should
    > not affect what I'm seeing)
    > - decompression: I've no idea what compression it used before, but
    > `make oldconfig' offered gzip by default which I accepted. Should
    > I try bzip2 instead?
    > - changed HZ from 100 to 300
    > - also the following which I don't think I touched:
    > -X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=128
    > +X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=64
    > -X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
    > +X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
    > I'm trying different compression method for now. If it will solve
    > this issue, my conclusion will be that the default value is wrong
    > and - oh well - expect more reports/questions like this one :)

    Ok, compression did not change anything. But now I've a bit more
    info available. Here's how the boot screen looks like when the
    boot stops:

    BIOS data check successful

    PANIC: early exception 0e rip: 10:ffffffff802c9abd error 0 cr2 0

    > The rest of the system is not very interesting I think: the kernel
    > config is pretty generic (most stuff is in modules), compiler is
    > default on Debian Lenny (4.3.2-1.1).

    Tried two boot loaders: lilo (22.8) and extlinux. With similar

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-08 12:51    [W:0.025 / U:6.408 seconds]