SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU hard limits
Balbir Singh wrote:
>> I am selling virtual private servers. A 10% cpu share costs $x/month, and I
>> guarantee you'll get that 10%, or your money back. On the other hand, I
>> want to limit cpu usage to that 10% (maybe a little more) so people don't
>> buy 10% shares and use 100% on my underutilized servers. If they want 100%,
>> let them pay for 100%.
>>

> Excellent examples, we've covered them in the RFC, could you see if we
> missed anything in terms of use cases? The real question is do we care
> enough to build hard limits control into the CFS group scheduler. I
> believe we should.

You only cover the limit part. Guarantees are left as an exercise to
the reader.

I don't think implementing guarantees via limits is workable as it
causes the cpu to be idled unnecessarily.

>>> Even limits are useful for SLA's since your b/w available changes
>>> quite drastically as we add or remove groups. There are other use
>>> cases for limits as well
>>>
>> SLAs are specified in terms of guarantees on a service, not on limits on
>> others. If we could use limits to provide guarantees, that would be fine,
>> but it doesn't quite work out.
>>

> To be honest, I would disagree here, specifically if you start
> comparing how you would build guarantees in the kernel and compare it
> with the proposed approach. I don't want to harp on the technicality,
> but point out the feasibility for people who care for lower end of the
> guarantee without requiring density. I think the real technical
> discussion should be on here are the use cases, lets agree on the need
> for the feature and go ahead and start prototyping the feature.

I don't understand. Are you saying implementing guarantees is too complex?

  Last update: 2009-06-07 08:13    [W:0.097 / U:0.172 seconds]