SubjectKernel Slowdown without Swap Space?
It has frequently reported in a number of sources that running a Linux
system without any swap slows the kernel down. While I understand that
the overall system may run better with swap (unused space can be swapped
out to allow more cache), is there any reason a significant performance
hit would be seen when running without swap? I currently do so on my
netbook (to reduce write cycles to the SSD). So is the "need" for swap
urban legend, or is there a good case for it, aside from caching
performance?

Thanks,
--DT

  Last update: 2009-06-07 23:13    [W:0.022 / U:24.244 seconds]