    SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc8 Oops whilst booting
    2009/6/7 Jaswinder Singh Rajput <>:
    > Hello Chris,

    Hello Jaswinder

    and thanks for the reply.

    > On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 22:15 +0100, Chris Clayton wrote:
    >> Sorry, I've just realised what a poor report my earlier email was. I should also have said that the
    >> kernel has booted succesfully. At the time of reporting I had had two panics. I've just done
    >> another git pull, so the kernel is bang up to date with, but after building and
    >> installing, a reboot resulted in another panic. The system then booted OK after switch off and on
    >> again.
    >> Please cc me to any reply, I'm not subscribed.
    >> On Saturday 06 June 2009, Chris Clayton wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > After a git pull earlier today, I've had oopsen whilst booting the system
    >> > twice today: A photo of the oops message can be viewed at:
    >> >

    >> > I haven't used the 2.6.30-rc kernels very much, so I don't have a clue when
    >> > the problem was introduced. I have no problems at all with
    >> >
    > Can you provide your .config and dmesg of working and non-working
    > kernel.
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > JSR

    Sorry for delay in replying - I've been bisecting but ended up with:

    commit 60a0cd528d761c50d3a0a49e8fbaf6a87e64254a
    Merge: e25e092 8e35961
    Author: Linus Torvalds <>
    Commit: Linus Torvalds <>

    Merge branch 'merge' of

    * 'merge' of git://
    powerpc/mm: Fix broken MMU PID stealing on !SMP

    which seems wrong given I have and x86 machine. I guess I didn't try
    enough reboots before reporting a kernel as good.

    However, I did get two bad boots. The dmesg for a good boot and config
    are attached. As I don't get to user space on a bad boot, I can't
    provide a dmesg, but a photograph of the panic can be viewed at

    I'll start bisecting again, but allow may more reboots before deciding
    a kernel is good.

    Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

    No, Sir; there is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by
    which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn -
    Doctor Samuel Johnson
    [unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]
     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-07 20:41    [W:0.030 / U:6.512 seconds]