SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]
Date
On Thu June 4 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I build test cases with and without - -
> > It was a fixed-speed kernel build that first hit the 4 hour up-time mark.
> > I just reposted that build today (the -09143lk).
> >
> > > Features like that easily put a huge stress on power regulators etc, if
> > > they result in sudden changes in current draw. Underspecced capacitors
> > > etc can cause CPU "brown-outs", which in turn can easily cause total
> > > failure.
> >
> > There is also a possible thermal issue with these machines - -
> > I doubt that VIA runs their qualification testing in bake ovens;
> > which is what NetBook cases amount too. ;)
>
> If the fixed-speed case runs for longer, it's not likely to be a thermal
> issue. The fixed speed case should be the higher-power one.

I can respond to that point now; VIA Tech has answered some of my questions -

The mainstream kernel, e_powersaver, is *under-clocking* my machine -

The cpuid instruction provides the minimum and maximum GSF values
(Guaranteed Stable Frequency) for that processor mask run -
Passing that on as the lower and upper limits to e_powersaver should
stop that problem. Will be testing this RSN.

Once you start operating the processor outside of the reported-by-silicon mask
limits - quote: "there is no quarantee of stable operation" - -

To that I add my opinion:
For a severely under-clocked machine (already possibly un-stable) - -
Thermal effects are almost certain to be present.

To paraphrase VIA Tech once again: "Don't do that." ;)

Mike

  Last update: 2009-06-06 14:21    [W:0.114 / U:23.604 seconds]