    SubjectRe: Mild filesystem corruption on ext4 (no journal)
    Eric Sandeen wrote:
    > Alan Jenkins wrote:
    >> Aioanei Rares wrote:
    >>> I suspect, although I might be wrong, that this is not a kernel-related
    >>> problem.
    >> "To try and rule out a faulty userspace program, I marked the file as
    >> read-only (chmod a-w) and immutable (chattr +i). After a reboot, the
    >> file was still read-only and immutable, yet it still became corrupted."
    >> Since the immutable bit is not respected, I tend to think it is a kernel
    >> problem. Unless the filesystem isn't getting unmounted/flushed properly
    >> for some reason... but I thought the modern kernel had that covered.
    >> I agree it is very suspicious this happens only after upgrading libc.
    >> I'll see if I can find an individual change in libc locale-handling that
    >> might trigger this.
    > Maybe you could try some things in your shutdown script, such as
    > explicitly fsyncing the file, or bmapping it with filefrag, or dropping
    > caches and rereading it... see what the state is just before the
    > shutdown compared to after the reboot.
    > -Eric

    Dropping caches (and running sync first) had no effect on the result of
    md5sum. Hopefully that narrows it down a bit.

    Thanks to your prodding though, I have another interesting finding:

    If I remove the corrupted file and copy a "known good" copy into it's
    place, then the corruption doesn't happen. I've verified this a couple
    of times. The corruption only occurs if the file was created by

    I'll continue to try work out why :-).

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-05 18:45    [W:0.021 / U:22.848 seconds]