    SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU hard limits
    From
    On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Balbir Singh<balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

    > The important scenario I have is adding and removing groups.
    >
    > Consider 10 cgroups with shares of 10 each, what if 5 new are created
    > with the same shares? We now start getting 100/15, even though we did
    > not change our shares.

    Are you assuming that arbitrary users can create new cgroups whenever
    they like, with whatever shares they like? In that situation, how
    would you use hard limits to provide guarantees? Presumably if the
    user could create a cgroup with an arbitrary share, they could create
    one with an arbitrary hard limit too.

    Can you explain a bit more about how you're envisaging cgroups being
    created, and how their shares and hard limits would get set? I was
    working on the assumption that (for any sub-tree of the CFS hierarchy)
    there's a single managing entity that gets to decide the shares given
    to the cgroups within that tree. That managing entity would be
    responsible for ensuring that the shares given out allowed guarantees
    to be met (or alternatively, that the probability of violating those
    guarantees based on the shares given out was within some tolerance
    threshold).

    Paul

      Last update: 2009-06-05 11:51    [W:0.022 / U:30.256 seconds]