SubjectRe: sata_sil24 0000:04:00.0: DMA-API: device driver frees DMA sg list with different entry count [map count=13] [unmap count=10]
On Thu, Jun 04 2009, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:15:14 +0300
> Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@panasas.com> wrote:
>
> > On 06/04/2009 09:33 AM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

> > > It means that two different DMA operations will be performed against
> > > the same dma addresss on the same device at the same time. It doesn't
> > > happen unless there is a bug in a driver, an IOMMU or somewhere, as I
> > > wrote in the previous mail.
> > >

> > What about the draining buffers used by libata. Are they not the same buffer
> > for all devices for all requests?
>
> I'm not sure if the drain buffer is used like that. But is there
> easier ways to see the same buffer; e.g. sending the same buffer twice
> with DIO?

I'm pretty sure we discussed this some months ago, the intel iommu
driver had a similar bug iirc. Lets say you want to write the same 4kb
block to two spots on the disk. You prepare and submit that with
O_DIRECT and using aio. On a device with NCQ, that could easily map the
same page twice. Or, perhaps more likely, doing 512b writes and not
getting all of them merged.

> As I wrote, I assume that he uses GART IOMMU; it allocates an unique
> dma address per dma mapping operation.
>
> However, dma-debug is broken wrt this, I guess.

Seems so.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2009-06-04 09:55    [W:0.049 / U:0.104 seconds]