lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2009]   [Jun]   [4]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
    /
    Date
    From
    SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU hard limits
    * Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> [2009-06-04 15:19:22]:

    > Bharata B Rao wrote:
    > > 2. Need for hard limiting CPU resource
    > > --------------------------------------
    > > - Pay-per-use: In enterprise systems that cater to multiple clients/customers
    > > where a customer demands a certain share of CPU resources and pays only
    > > that, CPU hard limits will be useful to hard limit the customer's job
    > > to consume only the specified amount of CPU resource.
    > > - In container based virtualization environments running multiple containers,
    > > hard limits will be useful to ensure a container doesn't exceed its
    > > CPU entitlement.
    > > - Hard limits can be used to provide guarantees.
    > >
    > How can hard limits provide guarantees?
    >
    > Let's take an example where I have 1 group that I wish to guarantee a
    > 20% share of the cpu, and anther 8 groups with no limits or guarantees.
    >
    > One way to achieve the guarantee is to hard limit each of the 8 other
    > groups to 10%; the sum total of the limits is 80%, leaving 20% for the
    > guarantee group. The downside is the arbitrary limit imposed on the
    > other groups.
    >
    > Another way is to place the 8 groups in a container group, and limit
    > that to 80%. But that doesn't work if I want to provide guarantees to
    > several groups.
    >

    Hi, Avi,

    Take a look at
    http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Guarantees_for_resources
    and the associated program in the wiki page.

    --
    Balbir


    \
     
     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-05 05:11    [W:3.254 / U:0.748 seconds]
    ©2003-2017 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site