SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]
Date
On Thu June 4 2009, Robert Hancock wrote:
> Michael S. Zick wrote:
> >> Sorry we didn't establish that. Accessing data structures that are
> >> also accessed by DMA hardware is pretty common in fact and memory
> >> ordering issues also come up regularly (e.g. all the infamous PCI
> >> posting bugs)
> >>
> >> What we established is that the drivers don't use LOCK for it
> >> (or at least we think that's very unlikely)
> >>

> > It was a real headache in the pa-risc port - -
> > Even went so far as to build some experimental kernels where all
> > the spin-lock structures where in a separate loader section.
> >
> > That was to avoid in-direct interference - I.E: Both DMA and
> > the processor handling the locking **both** invalidating the
> > same cache line at the same time (only one can win).
> >
> > Things might get that deep with this processor/chip-set combination;
> > but pa-risc has some very unusual hardware in some older models.
>
> That sort of thing should be architecturally impossible on x86. In order
> for something to invalidate the cache line, it first has to own it
> (except maybe for some unusual cases like Memory Write and Invalidate
> where the writer promises to overwrite the entire cache line).

VIA has not publicly published sufficient technical information to presume
that the cache coherency control protocols are the same as Intel's.

These are cpu/chipset pairs - Think System On 2 Chips. SoS2C.

Mike
Mike

  Last update: 2009-06-05 02:55    [W:0.354 / U:0.124 seconds]