SubjectRe: KSM: current madvise rollup
Many thanks for your speedy and generous response: I'm glad you like it.

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Izik Eidus wrote:
> Hugh Dickins wrote:
>
> > I've plenty more to do: still haven't really focussed in on mremap
> > move, and races when the vma we expect to be VM_MERGEABLE is actually
> > something else by the time we get mmap_sem for get_user_pages.
>
> Considering the fact that the madvise run with mmap_sem(write)
> isn't it enough just to check the VM_MERGEABLE flag?

That is most of it, yes: though really we'd want that check down
inside __get_user_pages(), so that it wouldn't proceed any further
if by then the vma is not VM_MERGEABLE. GUP's VM_IO | VM_PFNMAP check
does already keep it away from the most dangerous areas, but we also
don't want it to touch VM_HUGETLB ones (faulting in huge pages nobody
wants), nor any !VM_MERGEABLE really.

However, rather than adding another flag to get_user_pages(), we
probably want to craft KSM's own substitute for it instead: a lot
of what GUP does (find_extend_vma, in_gate_area, follow_hugetlb_page,
handle_mm_fault) is stuff you actively do NOT want - all you want,
I think, is find_vma + VM_MERGEABLE check + follow_page. And you
might have gone that way already, except follow_page wasn't EXPORTed,
and you were at that time supporting KSM as a loadable module.

But that isn't the whole of it. I don't think there's any other way
to do it, but with mremap move you can move one VM_MERGEABLE area to
where another VM_MERGEABLE area was a moment ago, placing KSM pages
belonging to the one area where KSM pages of the other are expected.
Can't you? I don't think that would actually cause data corruption,
but it could badly poison the stable tree (memcmp'ing against a page
of data which is not what's expected at that point in the tree),
rendering KSM close to useless thereafter. I think.

The simplest answer to that is to prohibit mremap move on VM_MERGEABLE
areas. We already have atypical prohibitions in mremap e.g. it's not
allowed to span vmas; and I don't think it would limit anybody's real
life use of KSM. However, I don't like that solution because it gets
in the way of things like my testing with all areas VM_MERGEABLE, or
your applying mergeability to another process address space: if we
make some area mergeable, then later the app happens to decide it
wants to move that area, it would get an unexpected failure where
none normally occurs. So, I'll probably want to allow mremap move,
but add a ksm_mremap interface to rearrange the rmap_items at the
same time (haven't considered locking yet, that's often the problem).

> About page migration - right now it should fail when trying to migrate
> ksmpage:
>
> /* Establish migration ptes or remove ptes */
> try_to_unmap(page, 1);
>
> if (!page_mapped(page))
> rc = move_to_new_page(newpage, page);
>

> So as I see it, the soultion for this case is the same soultion as for the
> swapping problem of the ksm pages...:
> We need something such as extrnal rmap callbacks to make the rmap code be
> aware of the ksm virtual mappings of the pages - (we can use our data
> structures information inside ksm such as the stable_tree to track the virtual
> addresses that point into this page)
>
> So about the page migration i think we need to add support to it, when we add
> support of swapping, probably one release after we first get ksm merged...
>
> And about cgroups, again, i think swapping is main issue for this, for now we
> only have max_kernel_page_alloc to control the number of unswappable pages
> allocated by ksm.

Yes, I woke this morning thinking swapping the KSM pages should be a lot
easier than I thought originally. Not much more than plumbing in a third
alternative to try_to_unmap_file and try_to_unmap_anon, one which goes off
to KSM to run down the appropriate list hanging off the stable tree.

I'd intended it for other use, but I think now we'll likely give you
PAGE_MAPPING_KSM 2, so you can fit a tree_item pointer and page flag
into page_mapping there, instead of anon_vma pointer and PageAnon flag.
Or more likely, in addition to PageAnon flag.

It's very tempting to get into KSM swapping right now,
but I'll restrain myself.

> [replace_page ]
> > +
> > + BUG_ON(PageAnon(newpage));
> > +
> > + page_remove_rmap(oldpage);
> > + if (PageAnon(oldpage)) {
> > + dec_mm_counter(mm, anon_rss);
> > + inc_mm_counter(mm, file_rss);
> > + }
> >

> So now that replace_page is embedded inside ksm.c, i guess we dont need the if
> (PageAnon() check...) ?

The first time I read you, I thought you were suggesting to remove the
BUG_ON(PageAnon(newpage)) at the head of replace_page: yes, now that's
static within ksm.c, it's just a waste of space, better removed.

But you're suggesting remove this check around the dec/inc_mm_counter.
Well, of course, you're absolutely right; but I'd nonetheless actually
prefer to keep that test for the moment, as a flag of something odd to
revisit. Perhaps you'd prefer a comment "/* Something odd to revisit */"
instead ;) But if so, let's keep PageAnon in the text of the comment:
I know I'm going to want to go back to check usages of PageAnon here,
and this is a block I'll want to think about.

When testing, I got quite confused for a while when /proc/meminfo
showed my file pages going up and my anon pages going down. Yes,
that block is necessary to keep the stats right for unmap and exit;
but I think, the more so when we move on to swapping, that we'd
prefer KSM-substituted-pages to remain counted as anon rather than
as file, in the bulk of the mm which is unaware of KSM pages.
Something odd to revisit.

> > +static void cmp_and_merge_page(struct page *page, struct rmap_item
> > *rmap_item)
> > +{
> > + struct page *page2[1];
> > + struct rmap_item *tree_rmap_item;
> > + unsigned int checksum;
> > + int ret;
> > +
> > + if (rmap_item->stable_tree)
> > + remove_rmap_item_from_tree(rmap_item);
> > +
> > + /* We first start with searching the page inside the stable tree */
> > + tree_rmap_item = stable_tree_search(page, page2, rmap_item);
> > + if (tree_rmap_item) {
> > + BUG_ON(!tree_rmap_item->tree_item);
> > +
> > + if (page == page2[0]) { /* forked */
> > + ksm_pages_shared++;
> > + ret = 0;
>
> So here we increase the ksm_pages_shared, but how would we decrease it?
> Shouldnt we map the rmap_item to be stable_tree item?, and add this virtual
> address into the linked list of the stable tree node?
> (so when remove_rmap_item() will run we will be able to decrease the
> number...)

You had me worried, and I wondered how the numbers had worked out
correctly in testing; and this was a rather recent mod which could
easily be wrong. But it's okay, isn't it? In the very code which
you included below, there's the insert_to_stable_tree_list which
does exactly what you want - doesn't it?

> > + } else
> > + ret = try_to_merge_two_pages_noalloc(rmap_item->mm,
> > + page, page2[0],
> > +
> > rmap_item->address);
> > + put_page(page2[0]);
> > +
> > + if (!ret) {
> > + /*
> > + * The page was successfully merged, let's insert its
> > + * rmap_item into the stable tree.
> > + */
> > + insert_to_stable_tree_list(rmap_item, tree_rmap_item);
> > + }
> > + return;
> > + }

> > + /*
> > + * If we fail to insert the page into the stable tree,
> > + * we will have 2 virtual addresses that are pointing
> > + * to a KsmPage left outside the stable tree,
> > + * in which case we need to break_cow on both.
> > + */
> > + if (stable_tree_insert(page2[0], tree_item,
> > + tree_rmap_item) == 0) {
> > + insert_to_stable_tree_list(rmap_item,
> > + tree_rmap_item);
> > + } else {
> > + free_tree_item(tree_item);
> > + tree_rmap_item->tree_item = NULL;
> > + break_cow(tree_mm, tree_addr);
> > + break_cow(rmap_item->mm, rmap_item->address);
> > + ksm_pages_shared -= 2;
> >

> Much better handling than my kpage_outside_tree !

You surprise me! Although I couldn't see what was wrong with doing
the break_cow()s there, I made that change pretty much as a provocation,
to force you to explain patiently why we cannot break_cow() there, but
have to go through the kpage_outside_tree, nkpage_out_tree (how I hated
that name!) dance. I thought perhaps that you'd found in testing that
fixing it all up there got ksmd into making the same "mistake" again
and again, so better to introduce a delay; then I was going to suggest
forcing checksum back to 0 instead, and adding a comment (I removed the
other, no longer stable, reason for "wait" too: thinking, by all means
reinstate, but let's have a separate patch and comment to explain it).

Surely there's some reason you did it the convoluted way originally?
Perhaps the locking was different at the time the issue first came up,
and you were not free to break_cow() here at that time? Sadly, I don't
think my testing has gone down this path even once, I hope yours does.

> Great / Excllent work Hugh!, I really like the result, no need from you to
> split it, i just have walked the code again, and i like it.
> From the perspective of features, i dont think i want to change anything for
> the merge release, about the migration/cgroup and all friends,
> I think the swapping work that will be need to be taken for ksm will solve
> their problems as well, at least from infrastructure point of view.
>
> I will run it on my server and will try to heavy load it...

Great, I'm so pleased, thank you.

Aside from the break_cows change you already noticed above, there
was one other thing I wanted to check with you, where my __ksm_enter does:
/*
* Insert just behind the scanning cursor, to let the area settle
* down a little; when fork is followed by immediate exec, we don't
* want ksmd to waste time setting up and tearing down an rmap_list.
*/
list_add_tail(&mm_slot->mm_list, &ksm_scan.mm_slot->mm_list);

Seems reasonable enough, but I've replaced the original list_add
to the head by a list_add_tail to behind the cursor. And before
I brought the cursor into it, I had a list_add_tail to the head.

Now, I prefer list_add_tail because I just find it easier to think
through the sequence using list_add_tail; but it occurred to me later
that you might have run tests which show list_add head to behave better.

For example, if you always list_add new mms to the head (and the scan
runs forwards from the head: last night I added an experimental option
to run backwards, but notice no difference), then the unstable tree
will get built up starting with the pages from the new mms, which
might jostle the tree better than always starting with the same old
mms? So I might be spoiling a careful and subtle decision you made.

Hugh

  Last update: 2009-06-30 18:01    [W:0.101 / U:0.464 seconds]