    SubjectRe: performance counter ~0.4% error finding retired instruction count
    Ingo Molnar writes:

    > I measured 2000, but generally a few thousand cycles per invocation
    > sounds about right.

    We could actually do a bit better than we do, fairly easily. We could
    attach the counters to the child after the fork instead of the parent
    before the fork, using a couple of pipes for synchronization. And
    there's probably a way to get the dynamic linker to resolve the execvp
    call early in the child so we avoid that overhead. I think we should
    be able to get the overhead down to tens of userspace instructions
    without doing anything unnatural.

    Paul.

      Last update: 2009-06-27 08:51    [W:0.019 / U:93.428 seconds]