    SubjectRe: [dm-devel] REQUEST for new 'topology' metrics to be moved out of the 'queue' sysfs directory.
    On Fri, Jun 26 2009, NeilBrown wrote:
    > On Fri, June 26, 2009 10:50 pm, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > > On Fri, Jun 26 2009, Neil Brown wrote:
    > >> Every block device has a 'gendisk' (aka generic disk).
    > >> Every block device also (currently) has a request_queue.
    > >
    > > I don't know why you keep saying currently. It has always had a queue,
    > > and I don't see a good reason why that should change for "special" block
    > > devices like md/dm/loop/whatnot.
    > I say "currently" because I'm planning to create patches to make it
    > optional, and I want to get you used to the idea :-)
    > And md/dm/loop/whatnot are not "special" block devices, any more than
    > scsi/ide are "special" block devices. They are all just block devices.
    > They use different mechanisms, but each is just as valid as the other.

    That was why I put it in quotes, they are just regular devices.

    > The current code makes 'struct request' based block devices in to
    > first-class citizens, and all the rest are second class (having to
    > tag our data structures on ->queue data and/or ->private_data).

    ?? How is that different from devices, the ones you refer to as
    first-class citizens? They too store device private data in eg

    > I just want all block devices to be equal.

    There's no such thing as first or second class block devices. The fact
    that drivers using ->make_request_fn directly do not utilize the full
    scope of the queue isn't a very interesting fact, imho.

    Jens Axboe

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-26 15:33    [W:0.026 / U:17.448 seconds]