SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] Winbond CIR driver for the WPCD376I chip (ACPI/PNP id WEC1022)
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 04:46:01 -0700
David Härdeman <david@hardeman.nu> wrote:

> On Thu, June 25, 2009 00:13, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:36:45 -0700
> > David Härdeman <david@hardeman.nu> wrote:
> >
> >> I've written a driver for the
> >> Winbond WPCD376I chipset
> >
> > Yay, glad I could get these released for you. I just did a quick
> > scan of the driver (notes below)
>
> Two more things that Intel could provide:
>
> a) Publish the datasheet (I know you mentioned doing this but
> I can't find it on the Intel website)

Ah I was hoping that had been done already; I'll ping the docs people
about it.

> b) Make the hardware needed to actually use the CIR functionality
> available for purchase. http://www.easy-cir.com seems to be more
> or less dead (which is curious since an ad for the website
> seems to be included with every CIR-enabled Intel motherboard).
> I had to solder my own IR receiver in order to write the driver.

Oh that might be harder. We just provide the boards for OEMs and
resellers; often not made directly for end users...

> >> Where should this driver go in the tree? drivers/platform/x86/?
> >
> > drivers/char is probably fine.
>
> I'm leaning towards drivers/input/misc now...

Seems ok too.

> > The key up/down timeout handling seems like a pretty general
> > problem, maybe the input layer has some helpers for it? Dunno.
>
> drivers/media/common/ir-functions.c is the closest thing I could find
> while writing the driver. The functions there aren't usable because
> they do not properly implement the toggle/repeat handling and it
> forces the use of a small, fixed-size keymap. The same problem
> existed when I improved the IR functionality in
> drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-ci.c by the way, so a generic version
> could probably be added to ir-functions in the future.

Sounds good.

> > Are these just for debugging? If so, you could put them in debugfs
> > instead...
>
> No, they are there to help the user when generating a keymap for an
> unknown remote. Press key on remote, read value from
> /sys/.../last_scancode, add line saying "0x12345678 = KEY_EXPLODE" to
> keymap file, repeat...there aren't any user-friendly tools for this
> yet though.

Ah right, yeah that's a good use for sysfs.