SubjectRe: Status of bzip2 and lzma kernel compression for ARM?
Date
Hi Michael, Mike

Le Thursday 25 June 2009 10:56:45 Mike Rapoport, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Opdenacker wrote:
> > Hi Alain,
> >
> > I would like to test bzip2 and lzma compression on ARM.
> >
> > Would you mind telling me what the status of your patches on ARM is, now
> > that the x86 and architecture independent code has been merged? Have
> > you or has anyone already updated them for 2.6.30, or shall I update
> > them by myself?
>
> I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by "test bzip2 and lzma compression
> on ARM", but if you refer to internal initramfs compression, I can tell
> that I've used lzma compression on PXA270 and it works fine.

I think Michael refers to the lzma decompressor which allows you to use a
lzma-compressed kernel as a (b)zImage with its architecture specific
decompressor piggy-backed in the (b)zImage.

Such thing would also be very useful on MIPS and PowerPC as well.
--
Best regards, Florian Fainelli
Email : florian@openwrt.org