    SubjectRe: [patch] eventfd - revised interface and cleanups (2nd rev)
    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:25:36 -0700 (PDT)
    Davide Libenzi <davidel@xmailserver.org> wrote:

    > The following patch changes the eventfd interface to de-couple the eventfd
    > memory context, from the file pointer instance.
    > Without such change, there is no clean way to racely free handle the
    > POLLHUP event sent when the last instance of the file* goes away.
    > Also, now the internal eventfd APIs are using the eventfd context instead
    > of the file*.
    > Another cleanup this patch does, is making AIO select EVENTFD, instead of
    > adding a bunch of empty function stubs inside eventfd.h in order to
    > handle the (AIO && !EVENTFD) case.

    > +/**
    > + * eventfd_ctx_get - Acquires a reference to the internal eventfd context.
    > + * @ctx: [in] Pointer to the eventfd context.
    > + *
    > + * Returns: In case of success, returns a pointer to the eventfd context,
    > + * otherwise a proper error code.

    The description of the return value

    > + */
    > +struct eventfd_ctx *eventfd_ctx_get(struct eventfd_ctx *ctx)
    > +{
    > + kref_get(&ctx->kref);
    > + return ctx;
    > +}
    > +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(eventfd_ctx_get);

    doesn't match the code.

    Also...

    > + * Returns: A pointer to the eventfd file structure in case of success, or a
    > + * proper error pointer in case of failure.

    > + * Returns: In case of success, it returns a pointer to the internal eventfd
    > + * context, otherwise a proper error code.
    > + */

    I'm unsure what the word "proper" means in this context.

    The term "proper error pointer" is understandable enough - something
    you run IS_ERR() against. "error pointer" would suffice.

    But the term "proper error code" is getting a bit remote from reality.

    Unfortunately the kernel doesn't have a simple and agreed-to term for
    an ERR_PTR() thingy. Perhaps we should invent one. "err_ptr"?

      Last update: 2009-06-23 22:21    [W:0.024 / U:0.036 seconds]